Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Anna Scott's Baby Book - The Birth Story

Well, the "due date" had come and gone (two days earlier), and I was prepared to enjoy another day at home with Aiden as well as a family dinner out for my cousin, Blake's 30th birthday party that night. I had been to the doctor the day before and had made little progress, but some. But that didn't discourage me much because of my history with Aiden's labor and delivery. So we chilled around the house. I did make sure to get a shower that morning (just in case). I got very excited when I finally began feeling REAL contractions--I was beyond tired of those dadgum Braxton Hicks! They didn't become regular until around 2:30. I started timing them, and they were a half hour apart. I called Jamie and my mom because I just knew it was going down that night. By the time they got to be nice and uncomfortable, I noticed little man doing this...
When I asked him what was wrong, he said, "I'm having a contraction." So the human tape recorder caught me being a baby. Gotta love it. Right around that time, Jamie came home, and it was time to get ready to go celebrate Blake's birthday. By the time we got to the restaurant, contractions were about 13 minutes apart. The whole family was aware of what was going down, so they gave me my family push present early! It was my Ju-Ju-Be BFF diaper bag!!! I was so excited. Then, it got really fun. I placed my order during a contraction (the poor waiter had no clue). Also, I started noticing everyone noticing me and my beautiful contraction faces. We called my brother-in-law, who practices with my OB and he said not to head to the hospital until they were 8-10 minutes apart. And no joke...after we hung up with him, they jumped from 13 to 6 minutes apart. We decided to bounce. You should have seen the server's face when I asked for our food to go because I was in labor. CLASSIC. We said our "Happy Birthdays, Sorries, and I love yous" and got on the road. And WHOA...once we hit the interstate, those contractions were no longer playing nice. They were becoming more and more intense and closer together. FAST.

We got to the hospital very quickly (it seemed like to me), but I spent most of the time on the phone or sending texts to people. When we walked into the lobby, this is what we saw...
Yeah. So, I got redneck and yelled, "Hellooo?!" Kind of out of my comfort zone, but I mean at this point all that was on my mind was, "I'm going to have this baby as fast if not faster than I had Aiden, and I. Need. My. Epidural. before that goes down." So, the slowest moving woman in the history of humans came out from the back. Her excuse? "I was trying to finish my dinner." 
So after spending waaaay too long with Mrs. Slower than molasses, we were admitted, and I was checked. I had made no more progress since my appointment (no surprise), but I was sure to tell her about my previous experience, and she was happy to get me into my delivery room. Since I was only a 1, my doctor wanted me to wait for the Epidural, and ordered some Stadol to start with. 

WHAT??!?!?!
But. When my beautiful angel of a nurse, Jane, put that glorious drug into my drip...
I
Was
In
Heaven
                                      
Seriously? If your doc ever orders that stuff? Get excited. Shortly after my stint of flying over rainbows,  I got my epidural. It was finally time to have fun and have my baby! Around 11:00, I was only a 3-4, so I knew I wouldn't have her before midnight. But, then it hit me! I might have Thursday's Baby! Thursday's Baby is a special promotion that the hospital does for the first baby born each Thursday. My nurse and I were determined. She found out that there was another woman in labor that was ahead of me. At midnight, she told me that this other chick was already at a 6 and her water had broken. But did Anna Scott and I let that get us down? Nope. Too competitive. So, seconds later, my water broke. She checked me. 6-7. Take that, chick down the hall! 20 minutes later, I was complete. 15 minutes after that, my doctor arrived and it was time.

I pushed 3 times (just like with Aiden). She was born "Sunny side up" which explains the super intense contractions. Unlike with Aiden, she was laid right onto my chest after delivery. It was a perfect moment. Perfect.
We had some time together, took photos, and showed her off to all of the family. It was the wee hours of the morning before we got to our postpartum room. I had gotten one last slug of epidural before delivery, and it took its own sweet time to wear off. I got what seemed like three seconds of sleep and the sun was up. I was super excited for my first day with our beautiful baby girl. I posted photos onto facebook like a mad woman, scarfed down a wonderful breakfast, and began the day of cuddles, visitors, and (I'm not gonna lie) really good pain meds. 
That night was the best sleep I have ever had. Period. 
I have to say that labor and delivery and the hospital stay (everything about all of it) are two of the best memories of my life. Both babies were just the best experiences ever. But as much as I loved the bed, the sleep, the food, the nurses--OOOHHHH THE NURSES, I was ready to get home. Ready to start life as a mommy of two. 
Thank you, God, for blessing us with this baby. I know now why I had to go through the year I went through. If I had not gone through it, I would not be as close to you as I now am. If I had not gone through it, I wouldn't have this precious baby girl. Thank you for always knowing better. Thank you for always allowing things to work for the good of those who love you. Thank you for calling me to be Jamie's wife and Aiden and Anna Scott's mommy. Thank you.

3 comments:

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

This is a beautiful birth story Britney! Can't wait to meet Miss Anna Scott on monday :)

Heather said...

So sweet :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Britney!!! She is beautiful!!! I can't believe you still went to the restaurant having contractions! You are a stronger woman than me!!

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...