Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas through Aiden's Eyes

Christmas is absolutely, positively my favorite time of the year. I love the anticipation, the smells, the music, the food, the family, the hustle and bustle, and most of all, the traditions. I have held onto my childhood traditions without fail throughout adulthood, so when Aiden was born, I was excited to continue them without feeling somewhat silly in front of the husband. The past two Christmases were great, don't get me wrong, but Aiden still didn't grasp the whole concept.

This year?

Haha...so into it! I. Love. It.

It started a few weeks ago when Santa sent us the Elf on the Shelf. We read the book, and all he wanted to do when we finished was to open it and get the elf out. But, of course, we can't touch him because he might lose his magic! Later that day, the elf (creatively named "Elf" by Aiden) had found his way out of the box! The look on his face? Priceless. He was sold. My son got his first experience of Christmas magic. And every morning since, as soon as those little feet hit the floor downstairs, he walks around so eagerly, looking up/down/all around for Elf. And when he finds him, you hear the sweetest, most energetic "WOOOOK!", and he lights up just like the first time. It rocks. He gets that the elf is here to watch him and report to Santa, so you better believe every time he finishes a complete meal or helps me in the kitchen, he makes sure it is known! "Elf! I eat all my food!" He also finds time to remind Elf that he wants a Batman helicopter. So stinkin' cute.
Elf may be the cutest tradition we have going on, but it's not the only one. So far, Aiden has helped pick out gifts, wrap gifts, select and decorate the tree, and watch all of the Christmas classics. Right now, his favorites have been "Turboman" (Jingle All the Way) and Frosty the Snowman--which made him so upset the first time he watched it because Frosty melted. "Mommy, the snowman's gone" (insert the most pitiful pouty/sad expression) So sweet. We have yet to visit Santa, but I have a feeling that will be a post all its own.
I always knew it would be fun celebrating Christmas with my children, but I NEVER knew it would be this thrilling. Witnessing that innocent trust and the look of "Wow" on his face melts me every time.

Christmas morning cannot come soon enough!

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...