Monday, March 14, 2011

Aiden's Baby Book - The Birth Story

On Sunday, June 28, 2009, Mommy woke up hungry. Big surprise! I got Daddy to take us to the American Waffle Co. across the street. After pigging out, we ventured off to the Avenue where I got my weekly manicure and pedicure. While sitting there getting my nails done, I remember twinging. It was enough to startle the man doing my nails. I told him I was fine, and I thought I was. 

We left there and went to T.J. Maxx to walk a little and shop a little. I had a conversation with a lady in the women's section, and she convinced me I was having contractions. I decided I was still fine, so we left there and went to peruse through the baby aisles at Toys R Us. This time, the contractions stopped me mid-stride, and I remember looking at your dad and we both knew it was time to go home and take it easy. 

We stopped to get a snack at Sonic and a movie. This was back when there was still a Blockbuster (a place where you rent movies...crazy, I know) When we pulled into the driveway, we had a little accident with Mommy's slushy. OOPS! After cleaning it up, we went inside, I got comfy, and we climbed in bed to begin counting contractions. I can remember catching bits and pieces of the movie "Confessions of a Shopaholic". I would go from one extreme to the other. One minute, I was thinking "OH NO! I can't take it." And then, when it passed, I convinced myself that I was fine and that I was just being a wimp. 

When we knew that it was time to go, we called Uncle Roy to get the okay. We already had our bag packed, so that left time for me to change into a cute outfit! On the way to Nashville, I was not as tough as I had previously been. I got a little more vocal as well. Poor Daddy!

When we got to the check-in, the wonderful nurses let us jump ahead of the other moms and dads. SCORE! We still hadn't called any family, because we thought you wouldn't come until the next day. Uncle Roy got us set up in a room to stay the night. We were all still under the impression that the next day would be your day. But OOHHHH were we wrong. Within hours, you were born! You were in such a hurry, that we had to wait for Dr. Draughn! When he arrived, you were in the world in three easy pushes. 11:43 p.m. weighing 7 lbs. 1 oz. You were finally here! Our gift from God. Just for us. Perfectly perfect.

Everyone made it just in time to either greet your daddy and me before or to see you after you were born.  This is my favorite photo, you and I are staring at each other. I love remembering this moment.

Afterward, Daddy went and got me a cheeseburger, fries, green beans, mac and cheese, and a coke. One of the best spot-hitting meals I had ever had. That night we spent lots of quality time with you and got a little bit of much needed rest. The next couple of days was jam-packed with visitors! You got even more gifts and were introduced to all of your new family members! Mommy was ready to get home, but very reluctant at the same time. I remember being afraid of being without my helpful nurses and the surprisingly delicious food. I liked the food so much that I recreated the meals when we got home: meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green peas, and cornbread and for breakfast, oatmeal with butter and brown sugar, a blueberry muffin, and orange juice. Still two of my favorites.

When we headed home, you cried. A lot. But finally, we were home and began getting settled. We had more visitors who brought yummy food for Mommy and Daddy. You also got to meet Bogey when we got home. He was so excited and very protective of you. He wouldn't leave our side when we would rock in your nursery chair.

That night, we were initiated into the parents club. You were fussier than what we had gotten used to in the past 24 hours, and Daddy had to make a run to Kroger for some gas drops. Hallelujah! You allowed us to sleep in 2 hour intervals for the next few days. I adapted pretty well for someone who loves her sleep. 

Over time, the visits slowed down, and we were able to adjust to parenthood. All the while, having to pack up for the move...did I forget to mention that we sold the house the day after you were born? Yep! But we did it. We did it with the help of our family. Within a week, we moved into G-Daddy and Ra-Ra's house. It was supposed to be temporary while they got our house (down the street) ready, but it ended up being a 3 month stay. It was an awesome help to Mommy, though, having everyone around. 

We had lots of fun getting to know you in that first month, and soon discovered it would only continue to get better and better. Just when we began to think our hearts couldn't possibly hold anymore love, it would just grow to accommodate! We love you, baby boy.

Love, Mommy

1 comment:

Mrs. Baker said...

aww just found your blog! my baby boy came fast too weighing in at 7lbs. 1oz.! they are amazing gifts from God!

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...