Tuesday, March 15, 2011

God's Interruption

Do I have everything ready for today’s lesson, copies, finish your coffee, what time is it, book club after school today, church tomorrow night, do I really have time to commit to EVERY Wednesday, did Aiden get a bath last night, I hope the meat thaws by tonight, did I teach well enough for TCAP, I wish our house was bigger, we’ll never sell it, I’d love to have a garden like hers, Why can’t I stay at home and take care of my home and family instead of all of these kids who seem to not care, I never have enough time…

And God interrupts.

“Be still, and know that I am God. Listen to the love song I am continually singing to you. The voices of the world are a cacophony of chaos, pulling you this way and that. Don’t listen to those voices; challenge them with My Word. Be still in My Presence and listen to My Voice.”

Silence.

Why is it that I let these voices run rampant through my head? I don’t even LIKE them. I definitely do not enjoy their company. So why do I entertain them? The voices of the world are all around us. It is what we are immersed in daily. But we can’t really blame those voices. The world exists, and we live in it. But that does not mean we have to find life in it. We have to find life in God’s Word. Through His Blood. Through His Mercy and Grace. I know this now, and I can fight off those voices, thanks to God speaking to me this morning. A friend of mine from work brought me a daily devotion book yesterday. I felt so touched that she thought of me, and I could not wait to begin reading. Today’s message from God is quoted above. I believe that God heard my prayer Sunday night: “God, please turn my focus from these worldly things. I know I should not consume my mind with these thoughts, but with thoughts of you. Help me, God.”


So God sent Kathy to my classroom door yesterday morning with this little devotional book, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. What a blessing! He knew what I needed. He KNOWS what I need. I have been doing some daily bible readings. I hate to admit that I have never fully committed, or should I say devoted, my time to a full year of daily readings. I started in January, and have not stopped. It has become my favorite habit. I know that by continuing to immerse myself in His Word, and not the things of the world, that hopefully those worldly voices will be muted by the peace and love of The Almighty.

God, I know You are listening to me. I believe in Your Power. I believe that You love me and that You know what is best for me. I know that You will make it happen. Please help me to trust in You and to stop worrying about things that do not matter. Help me to silence the voices of the world. Continue to send me Your Messages, and I will listen. I look forward to Your next message to me. I love you, Lord. Thank You for all that You do for me and my family.

No comments:

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...