Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Operation: Potty Train

I have been hearing and reading about this method that teaches your toddler to use the potty within three days! It sounds like one of those too-good-to-be true offers you hear on an infomercial; however, after talking with friends, researching the good 'ole internet, and reading forum after forum, I think it just might work. After thinking and talking about it for a couple of months, I am ready to take the leap. I decided Spring Break would be the best time to do it since, of course, I will be home. 


So here is how it is supposed to go down...
Day one: Let him go naked from the waist down. Watch him closely all day, do not leave the house. When he starts to show signs of having to potty, take him straight there. Give praise for every "hit" and even a salty snack (this makes them more thirsty) which brings me to the last detail--give him lots of diluted juice. During naps, he can wear a diaper. Oh, and let's not forget to keep cleaning supplies within quick reach. Also, let him clean up the mess with you. 
More notes: Don't scold, but remind him to pee-pee/poo-poo in the potty. Tell him, "It's time to go potty!" instead of asking if he has to go--answers will usually be NO. Praise, praise, praise!

Day two: Do the same thing as day one, but take him outside for one hour. BUT he has to use the potty first. This lets him associate going out with pottying--so he'll do it before you leave the house in the future.

Day three: Same as day two, but go out for one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon.

I begin this today. I will post the recap after bedtime tonight...
BUM BUM BUUUUMMMMMM!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I have some friends that used this method and it worked really well for them! Hopefully your little guy will be a success story, too! I'm excited to hear how it goes!

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...